The poor reputation of the VA in handling service related injuries

Washington Post:

VA unlawfully turned away vulnerable veterans for decades, study says, with 400,000 more at risk

Systemic misunderstanding of the law within VA about which veterans to care for has triggered improper mass denial of care since 1980, a study has found.
In August of 1968, I was wounded in a mortar attack in Northern I Corps Vietnam.  After several operations, it became clear that I would not be able to return to combat in the Marine Corps.

Even then the VA had a poor reputation for dealing with wounded warriors.  I have since avoided using the VA whenever possible.  Since my hearing has deteriorated in recent years I was told that my current health insurance would not cover the fix and I should go to the VA.

One of the reasons why I have not is that there are too many warriors with severe injuries who are still not being served well at the VA and I did not want to take a spot that would add to their burden of getting care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vote against Democrat boondoggle 'stimulus'

Obamagate, The Movie

Generous Texans