Memorial day message

 I was assigned to the 3rd Marine Division Communication Center when I got orders to go to Vietnam.  I became the Asst. Commander of the center which received and routed all messages to the various commanders in the division.  It was an interesting job and included a top-secret mission to Khe Sanh shortly after the siege was lifted.

I later got orders to join Mike Company 3/3 as Executive Officer.  On the day I rode a chopper to join the company in Northern I Corps I saw a stack of bodies that were to be taken out by the chopper I rode in on.  The evening before I joined the unit there was an unusual fire-fight.  The company was marching up to a hill where they planned to spend the night and Marines maneuvered platoons to set up a perimeter.  At the same time, an NVA force was marching across the hilltop.  A firefight ensued and there were heavy casualties on both sides.  I think about those Marines who gave all on days like this.  

It is a day to think about all of those who sacrificed for this country.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Republicans go ahead and add Supreme Court Justices to head off Democrats

29 % of companies say they are unlikely to keep insurance after Obamacare

Bin Laden's concern about Zarqawi's remains