Marine Corps is an elite unit which means promotions are sometimes hard to get

NY Times:

The Few, the Proud, the White: The Marine Corps Balks at Promoting Generals of Color

A respected, combat-tested Black colonel has been passed over three times for promotion to brigadier general. What does his fate say about the Corps?
I am sure this colonel is a great officer or he would not have risen to that rank.  Not many people do.  But I am also sure that many white officers were also passed over for promotion to the higher rank.  That is the nature of the Marine Corps.

As a former Marine officer, I know how hard it was to just get through OCS.  I remember seeing sharp people from prestigious colleges who did not make it through the selection process. I was wounded in action as XO of a rifle company in Vietnam in Northern I Corps in 1968.  That eventually ended my career after recovering in the hospital.

I then went to law school and had a career that led me to be a general counsel of two different companies.  But my role as an officer in the Marine Corps helped me to achieve those positions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Republicans go ahead and add Supreme Court Justices to head off Democrats

29 % of companies say they are unlikely to keep insurance after Obamacare

Bin Laden's concern about Zarqawi's remains