Obama's patriotism problem
Samuel Johnson wrote that patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Those were the good old days; now, the last refuge of a scoundrel is pretending that his patriotism has been impugned.
In his speech to the Veterans of Foreign Wars today, Barack Obama complained that John McCain has questioned his patriotism, and contrasted his own high-minded behavior with McCain's. Here is how the Associated Press put it:
Democrat Barack Obama challenged his Republican opponent John McCain on Tuesday to stop questioning his "character and patriotism."Obama was actually quite fulsome on the subject. This is the text of the relevant portion of what he said to the VFW:
If we think that we can use the same partisan playbook where we just challenge our opponent's patriotism to win an election, then the American people will lose. The times are too serious for this kind of politics. The calamity left behind by the last eight years is too great.Obama seems to think that challenging an opponent's patriotism is routine in Presidential politics. Actually, I can't recall a single instance when it's happened.
[O]ne of the things that we have to change in this country is the idea that people can't disagree without challenging each other's character and patriotism.But who has "the idea that people can't disagree without challenging each other's character and patriotism?" I've never heard that idea expressed by anyone on either side of the political aisle. Certainly not by John McCain.
I have never suggested that Senator McCain picks his positions on national security based on politics or personal ambition. I have not suggested it because I believe that he genuinely wants to serve America's national interest. Now, it's time for him to acknowledge that I want to do the same.Let me be clear: I will let no one question my love of this country. I love America, so do you, and so does John McCain.
When he says "no one," I suppose he means to except Jeremiah Wright. But has McCain ever questioned Obama's love of country? No.
So let's have a serious debate, and let's debate our disagreements on the merits of policy -- not personal attacks.
...Obama possesses an arrogance that puts his policies above criticism in his mind. and when his policies are criticized he views that as a questioning of his patriotism. I just thought McCain was pointing out how bad the consequences of Obama's policies would have been and the convenience those policies posed to his getting the Democrat nomination.
I have no doubt that Obama thinks getting the Democrat nomination is a patriotic venture, but he has to live with the criticism of how he accomplished it and the lack of wisdom of his policy positions. I suspect that the members of MoveOn think it is patriotic to lose the war in Iraq, but they are still wrong to think it is in our interest to do so as is Obama.
Whenever I hear a Democrat saying his patriotism is being challenged, I know he is finding himself on the wrong side of a national security issue and he wants to stop the criticism.
This McClatchy report suggest Obama's message was not well received:
...The audience apparently gave Obama a subdued reception. I just think it is a mistake for Democrats to play this patriotism card. They are not very good at it. He should instead do a straight up defense of his policies if he has one.McCain was the clear favorite among the predominately older, white, male VFW crowd, and there was little indication that Obama's speech changed minds. Fewer VFW members attended Obama's remarks than heard McCain's - due at least partly to heavy rain and hurricane and tornado threats.
Many veterans left the hall after Obama's speech with frowns on their faces.
"You don't want to know what I think," said one.
"I don't have anything nice to say," said another.
Sam Compton, an Air Force veteran who served in Vietnam, said Obama "seems to be talking out of both sides of his mouth" when he calls for bringing troops home from Iraq and focusing more on domestic priorities, then talks about the need to redeploy troops to Afghanistan.
...
Comments
Post a Comment