How liberalism destroyed much of the trust in the media

 Daily Signal:
...

The numbers tell a devastating story about legacy media’s credibility crisis. Here are just a few from Gallup:Only 31% of Americans now trust the media “a great deal” or “a fair amount.”
Thirty-six percent have no trust at all—up from just 6% in 1972.
Among Republicans, a staggering 59% have zero trust in mass media.

Legacy media have lost sight of their role of informing Americans in favor of lecturing them.

As a result, the gatekeepers have lost their gate and lost touch with the country, and at times, reality.

For years, a media monopoly of left-wing journalists occupied coveted spots in the White House, Pentagon, and on Capitol Hill—asking questions that advanced their agenda, often at the expense of the truth.

Trump tried to disrupt things in his first term—but this time, he’s not backing down. And he’s doing so with committed warriors like press secretary Karoline Leavitt and Federal Communications Commission Chairman Brendan Carr by his side.

Just think about the remarkable changes we have witnessed this year.

After years of hearing Republicans promise to defund PBS and NPR, it finally happened. The nearly 60-year-old Corporation for Public Broadcasting, funded with your tax dollars, announced it was shutting down.

The long-troubled U.S. Agency for Global Media, which is supposed to support freedom and democracy throughout the world but instead undermined American values, is a shell of its former self.

With those changes, the government finally exited the media business.

In the private sector, the counterrevolution is bringing changes unimaginable a year ago.

Stephen Colbert, the late-night host who spews nothing but hatred for President Trump, will be without a job after CBS canceled his show and permanently ended “The Late Show.”

CBS’ new parent company, Skydance, made several eye-catching promises in its bid to acquire CBS’ parent company Paramount. These were outlined in letters sent to Chairman Carr in July. It would:Undertake a “comprehensive review of CBS.”
  • Ensure that CBS’ reporting is “fair, unbiased, and fact-based.”
  • Recognize the importance of “unbiased journalism.”
  • Eliminate diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
  • Commit to a “diverse array of viewpoints.”
  • Feature viewpoints from “across the political and ideological spectrum.”
  • And have an ombudsman for two years.

Now, it’ll be up to all of us to make sure those promises are fulfilled, but it’s still a remarkable admission to put in writing.

At MSNBC, Joy Reid lost her job and Rachel Maddow railed at her employer and then lost her staff to layoffs.

Lester Holt announced his retirement as anchor of NBC Nightly News.

Senior National Correspondent Terry Moran went on a social media rant about White House deputy chief of staff Stephen Miller then found himself fired by ABC News. He then turned around and accused the network of “failing the American people” for not attacking President Trump more vigorously.

...
There is much more

I was a Journalism major as an undergraduate at the University of Texas.  I was not the only conservative in my class, but the majority were pretty liberal.  I was the Sports Editor of the Daily Texan and graduated in three years.  After graduation, I went to the Marine Corps OCS program.  

While I was initially assigned as a Communication Officer, I was eventually appointed as the Executive Officer of a Marine rifle company in the Northern I Corps in Vietnam.  I liked the job and the Marines I served with.  

After being wounded in action, I was eventually medivaced back to the States and hospitalized for several months.  After being medically discharged, I went to the University of Texas Law School.  I enjoyed my career as a lawyer and was eventually named general counsel to two different companies before retiring.

I think the media is changing for the better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Chicago way

The plot to kill George W. Bush

Oil prices rise in the wake of Syrian missile strike