French arrest alleged terrorist plotting attack on Paris
Four people have been arrested in and around the southern French city of Montpellier on suspicion of planning an imminent terrorist attack in France.Meanwhile, France's own version of the "Ninth Circuit" ruled a law against consulting jihadi websites was unconstitutional. People should no longer be surprised at the religious preference of the terrorists.
Police and judicial sources said those in custody included a 20-year-old man and his 16-year-old girlfriend, both known to authorites for connections with radical Islam, and said the attack had been due to take place in Paris.
Police found TATP explosives and other bomb-making materials in the man’s home, the sources said. The interior ministry confirmed that explosives had been found.
France, which will hold the first round of a presidential election in just over 10 weeks’ time, remains on high alert over possible Islamist militant attacks.
More than 230 people have died in a series of assaults since the beginning of 2015, and the country has been in a state of emergency since November that year.
“The initial indications are that an imminent attack on French soil has been thwarted,” the interior minister, Bruno Le Roux, said in the statement on Friday.
The government has said it foiled 17 attacks during 2016. In July, 86 people were killed when a man deliberately drove a truck into a crowd in the city of Nice.