UT Austin on lockdown after man shoots self in library

San Antonio Express-News:

A man shot and killed himself on the sixth floor of a University of Texas at Austin library this morning, leading authorities to lock down the campus and school officials to cancel classes for the day.

Authorities said the man, who was not immediately identified, went into the Perry-Castañeda Library between 8 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. There were no reports of any other casualties or injuries, said Don Hale, a university spokesman.

Details remain sketchy, but authorities said the gunman fired multiple shots on the sixth floor of the library before turning the gun in himself.

Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo said the shooter was dead, but the campus remains locked down as authorities secure the area and begin their investigation into the incident.

“The main thing right now is that we are urging folks that are near the campus to please stay away until it is safe and secure,” said APD spokeswoman Anna Sabana.

Helicopters flew back and forth over the campus, which was closed with police barricades and yellow crime scene tape stretched from buildings, trees and light poles blocking off access to campus. Police were there with canine units as part of the search.

Shortly before noon, faculty, students and staff were being evacuated from the buildings where they'd been holed up since around 8 a.m., said university spokeswoman Rhonda Weldon. Television news showed students leaving with their hands up as they filed out.

Other reports said the man was firing an AK-47 which he sprayed the area with before turning it on himself. It appears he pay and spray hit no one else. Besides the choppers police also arrived at the campus in an armored personnel carrier, pictured at the above link. It is pretty clear that police and the University have planned for such an incident.

It brings to mind the Texas Tower Sniper in the summer of 1966. He killed several people walking across campus before a policeman got inside and shot him. At the time I was wrapping up my senior year and my class had been let go 20 minutes early so I was back at my apartment when the shooting started. A few months later I was in Marine Corps OCS and doing more live fire drills.


Popular posts from this blog

US, Britain and Israel help Iranian nuclear scientist escape

Iran loses another of its allies in Iraq

The Democrat screw up on the 80% rule for insurers