Some blacks may sit out election

Zev Chavets:

On Sunday, I was sitting in a rear pew of the Allen Memorial Church of Mount Vernon, ears still tingling from two hours of inspired gospel music, when I heard the Rev. Carlton Spruill compare the Democratic Party to Sodom and Gomorrah.

"George Bush is a meanspirited man," Spruill declared. "He's gone back on his promises about faith-based charity. Everybody knows he's lying about Iraq. But the Democratic Party supports same-sex marriage. Homosexuality is a perversion that will destroy America, just as it destroyed Rome and Sodom and Gomorrah. If the Democrats are right about same-sex marriage, then God has to apologize to Sodom. And God's not about to apologize."

The congregation responded with applause and amens.

"I know that voting is a precious right," Spruill told them. "But this time I don't see how I can vote. Sometimes you've just got to sit out an election."

...

"I'm a Democrat," he told me when I called to make sure I had understood him correctly and that he had instructed his congregation not to vote for John Kerry. "I've been a Democrat all my life. But if I had to vote this year, if I absolutely had to, I'd vote for George Bush."

This is not a personal eccentricity of Spruill's. His denomination, the Church of God in Christ, is unambiguously opposed to same-sex marriage.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iraq says civilian casualties in Mosul caused by ISIS booby trap, not US air strike

Liberal fascists strike against Trump supporters in Berkeley

OPEC reduces production again in price maintenance program