Education behind Hispanic move to GOP

 Fox News:

There’s a growing trend in America catching the attention of astute political observers and candidates alike: Hispanic voters are leaving the Democratic Party in droves. It’s a voting bloc many Democrats have relied on to win elections, so why is this change happening? There are no doubt many reasons, but it’s clear that education is among the top motives.

Many Democrats, on the other hand, keep insisting that immigration is the only issue we care about. Although immigration does matter, it is not the only issue important to our community. We also care about the reasons we immigrate to begin with. A fair chance at a decent living supersedes many other issues, and a good living often correlates with a quality education.

For Hispanic-Americans, our values are deeply rooted in faith, family and freedom. And we believe that opportunity for our children is nurtured through a high-quality education.

LATINA REPUBLICAN BLOCKED FROM JOINING CONGRESSIONAL HISPANIC CAUCUS

As a first-generation Chilean-American, I came to the United States seeking endless opportunities. As the daughter of a single mother, I grew up in the traditional public school system, struggling in large classroom settings. My academics suffered, I was often bullied, and I found myself stuck in an education system that didn't work for me because of our financial situation. I was from a disadvantaged and not well-connected family, and my education suffered as a result.

Yet when I came to this country, like many Hispanics, I realized my story was not uncommon. And I recognized that the surest way to attain the American Dream is to gain access to a good education.

The truth is, Hispanic students often face barriers decreasing their opportunities at a quality education. Language barriers, financial struggles, restricted internet connection and lack of access to devices at home are common obstacles for Latino students. The actions of the education establishment over the last few years made these challenges much worse, resulting in record gaps in reading for Hispanic fourth-grade students in 38 of the 50 states, according to the latest Nation’s Report Card (NAEP) scores.
...

I graduated from a high school that had a majority of Hispanics.  Some of them did quite well and were honor students, while others drifted away.  When I went to my high school reunion, the Hispanic graduates had been successful for the most part.  I think one of the keys to their success was their command of the English language.  Being bi-lingual also helped some do business on the Texas border with Mexico.  

What I have noticed is that more of them have migrated to the Republican party.  When I was in high school there were very few Republicans in the area.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Republicans go ahead and add Supreme Court Justices to head off Democrats

29 % of companies say they are unlikely to keep insurance after Obamacare

Bin Laden's concern about Zarqawi's remains