Military running short of fit recruits

 Daily Mail:

Too fat to fight! Four star general says Americans are too obese or criminal to join the armed forces and defend the country: Enlistment is at its lowest since after the Vietnam War

In 1966 when I went to Marine Corps OCS, I actually had to gain a few pounds to qualify for the program.  Once I was actually in OCS, I gained over 20 pounds of muscle.  The overweight candidates were the ones most likely to fail the course. Toward the end of training in an exercise to see how you responded under pressure I helped carry an overweight candidate across the finish line.  He then quit OCS.  It was not a program for the unfit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Republicans go ahead and add Supreme Court Justices to head off Democrats

29 % of companies say they are unlikely to keep insurance after Obamacare

Bin Laden's concern about Zarqawi's remains