The crime of self defense in the UK

Sunday Telegraph:

Colin Philpott was roused from bed and, still barefoot, challenged the group as his stepson, Alex, was battered in the front garden of the family’s £500,000 property.

In the scuffle which followed, one of the youths, named locally as Josh Hasler, was stabbed a number of times and collapsed in the street. Police were called, leading to the arrest of Mr Philpott and five of the youths, aged 16

and 17.

The incident took place in an estate in Crowthorne, Berks, which residents said had been plagued by problems with drunken, rowdy teenagers from outside the area who congregate at a nearby park.

Mr Philpott’s wife, Susanne, said she confronted the gang on Friday night after her husband’s van was damaged.

“It was all so very surreal and scary. You never expect this kind of violence to happen in your neighbourhood, let alone on your doorstep,” said Mrs Philpott, a training consultant.

“When the police arrived and arrested Colin, I was gobsmacked. It was heartbreaking to see him handcuffed and carted off like a common criminal – he is a hardworking, honest family man.

“Any action taken by my husband was as a result of a desire to protect his family and loved ones, and to defend his property.”

Mrs Philpott said her neighbourhood had recently experienced problems with drunken behaviour involving youths.

She said she and her son left their home after they heard a bang. She added: “We saw two young guys outside our house. When we saw a big dent in my husband’s van, Alex asked them if they had done it. They denied it and disappeared off around the corner.

“They returned 15 minutes later – with three others – and were all visibly drunk.

“When they started shouting outside the house, we came out again and this time I took a digital camera with me and told them that if they vandalised anything else, I’d take pictures as evidence.

“It was then that one particularly drunk and rowdy teenager threatened me. He said that if I took a picture, he would kill me and burn down my house.

“I was terrified by his words and when Alex tried to calm him down, the other four got worked up and the gang attacked him.

“He ended up on the ground with all five of those yobs on him, kicking him in the head and stomach.

“I was so frightened for him that I screamed for Colin, who until this point had been in bed. He came running out – still barefoot and half asleep – and saw the mess that Alex was in.

“In the blink of an eye, the lads attacked Colin and I saw one stumble into the road as Colin screamed for me to call the police and ambulance service.”

...

What a strange and horrible place Britain has become. The police seemed to have lost the plot on their job. They seem to be encouraging the bad behavior any attempt to resist it. It has lead to a considerably higher crime rate than the US. If I was a UK voter, I would vote for someone who would change the policy.

Comments

  1. You are absolutely right. The police in the UK are pathetic. Mostly they are 'too busy' stopping motorists and collecting fines is their priority.

    Real violent crimes are left to the householder to deal with themselves now, and when they do the right thing and protect their families they are arrested! Completely backward if you as me.

    I recently called 999 because a young girl in her early 20s was being attacked by a man in the street. The police operator asked me if "it was a domestic", as if it was a waste of her time - and like I could stop and ask them anyway! Her response was that there were no police available anyway, mid week at 1.00am. But if you drive 5 minutes down the road you will see police speed traps with three vans and 10 officers waiting to pounce!

    That's the state of this country - screwed by dumb rules set out by a useless no hope government and PM.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Should Republicans go ahead and add Supreme Court Justices to head off Democrats

29 % of companies say they are unlikely to keep insurance after Obamacare

Bin Laden's concern about Zarqawi's remains