The creepiness of the Obama worship

Jack Tapper:

...

Obama supporter Kathleen Geier writes that she's "getting increasingly weirded out by some of Obama's supporters. On listservs I'm on, some people who should know better – hard-bitten, not-so-young cynics, even – are gushing about Barack…

Describing various encounters with Obama supporters, she writes, "Excuse me, but this sounds more like a cult than a political campaign. The language used here is the language of evangelical Christianity – the Obama volunteers speak of 'coming to Obama' in the same way born-again Christians talk about 'coming to Jesus.'...So I say, we should all get a grip, stop all this unseemly mooning over Barack, see him and the political landscape he is a part of in a cooler, clearer, and more realistic light, and get to work."

Joe Klein, writing at Time, notes "something just a wee bit creepy about the mass messianism" he sees in Obama's Super Tuesday speech.

...

The always interesting James Wolcott writes that "(p)erhaps it's my atheism at work but I found myself increasingly wary of and resistant to the salvational fervor of the Obama campaign, the idealistic zeal divorced from any particular policy or cause and chariot-driven by pure euphoria. I can picture President Hillary in the White House dealing with a recalcitrant Republican faction; I can't picture President Obama in the same role because his summons to history and call to hope seems to transcend legislative maneuvers and horse-trading; his charisma is on a more ethereal plane, and I don't look to politics for transcendence and self-certification."

...


There is more.

No one seems to have mentioned how offensive this cult of personality is to Muslims, either, not that I care, but most of the people engaged in the Obama worship pretend to care about such things. If the writers ever get off strike, watch for much mockery of this from the late night comedians.

Peggy Noonan has always had an eye for the creepy when it comes to politics and fortunately she is not on strike, so maybe will see something soon.

Whoops. Noonan's colleague, James Taranto notices the creepiness today with more examples.

Comments

  1. I am terrified of the cult of Obama. I consider my friends to be educated and intelligent, discerning, etc., but the language they use to describe him is making me want to leave the country. When smart people fall under such a spell, who knows what will sound good to them? He has been in this glamor since the beginning of his political career. It is easy to find evidence of his typical predatory nature, his greed and deal making. Do we ever expect politicians to be other? I can understand people being afraid of the "war on Terror" and the loss of rights, the Middle East, and the crashing economy. It demands a real level of adulthood to admit that one must "suck it up" and live differently. Turning instead to the voice of grandiose rhetoric from a man with NO track record for having achieved anything. THAT is scary, to see how crazy people can turn before your very eyes. I am afraid to answer my phone. I don't even know these people. I can imagine hardships, but I cannot imagine this mass hypnosis. It is like I am in the land of the Pod people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With Obama as President the worship has gotten worse, with little kids singing songs in schools and with the bozo hollywoods issuing videos showing their adoration. Itr is sick

    ReplyDelete
  3. These articles are fantastic; the information you show us is interesting for everybody and is really good written. It’s just great!! Do you want to know something more? Read it...: Great investment opportunity in Costa Rica Costa Rica Cheap Land for Sale

    lots in costa rica

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Should Republicans go ahead and add Supreme Court Justices to head off Democrats

29 % of companies say they are unlikely to keep insurance after Obamacare

Bin Laden's concern about Zarqawi's remains