There is more. The positions of this group do a disservice to Hispanics. It is still fighting group identity politics instead of working for assimilation. Its opposition to English is much more harmful to Hispanics than anyone else. The most successful Hispanics I know speak good English. The most likely drop outs are those who do not.
ONLY in America could critics of a group called "The Race" be labeled racists.Such is the triumph of left-wing identity chauvinists, who've succeeded in redefining all opposition as "hate."
Can you imagine Obama and McCain paying homage to a group of white people who called themselves that?
Here are 15 things you should know about "The Race":
* It supports driver's licenses for illegal aliens.
* It demands in-state tuition discounts for illegal-alien students that aren't available to US citizens and legal immigrants.
* It vehemently opposes cooperative immigration-enforcement efforts between local, state and federal authorities.
* It opposes a secure fence on the southern border.
* It joined the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee in a failed lawsuit to prevent the feds from entering immigration information into a key national crime database - and to prevent local police from accessing the data.
* It protested common-sense voter-ID provisions as an "absolute disgrace."
* It has opposed post-9/11 national-security measures at every turn.
* It opposed Oklahoma's tough immigration-enforcement-first laws, which cut off welfare to illegal aliens, put teeth in employer sanctions and strengthened local-federal cooperation.
* It joined other anti-assimilationists suing to prevent Proposition 227, California's bilingual-education reform, from becoming law.
* Former "Race" President Raul Yzaguirre said: "US English is to Hispanics as the Ku Klux Klan is to blacks." US English is the nation's oldest, largest citizens' group dedicated to preserving the unifying role of the English language in America.