Mueller's staffing shows questionable judgment

Sara Carter:
Mueller’s ‘Pit Bull’ Andrew Weissmann Busted for Withholding Evidence in Previous Case

“Reprehensible and subject, perhaps, to appropriate disciplinary measures”
Early in my legal career, I prosecuted fraud cases for the State of Texas.  I found that the most effective way to deal with a fraud crime was to tightly draw the indictment by alleging only unarguable counts. 

I had no problem providing defense attorneys with evidence to support the indictment.  What usually happened was a guilty plea.  I think the big mistake some prosecutors make is to overcharge in hopes that something will stick.  This tends to make the case too complicated for a jury to follow and gives the defense wiggle room to challenge the whole case. 

I see no excuse for withholding evidence the other side is entitled to see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Republicans go ahead and add Supreme Court Justices to head off Democrats

29 % of companies say they are unlikely to keep insurance after Obamacare

Bin Laden's concern about Zarqawi's remains