Obama's ISIL strategy has turned into a whack-a-mole war that is sending fighters to Libya
President Barack Obama has warned that the U.S.’s efforts in Syria and Iraq have caused Islamic State militant group (ISIS) recruits to head to Libya.The policy demonstrates the lack of a comprehensive approach to dealing with an enemy that has shown it can adapt. It also is a reflectioon on his mistake of slashing defense spending and manpower to the point that it is difficult for the military to respond in more than one theater. He has continued to underestimate ISIL and the situation ion Libya and shows little sign of learning much from his obvious failures.
General David Rodriguez, commander of U.S. Africa command, revealed earlier this week that U.S. intelligence estimates now suggest the number of ISIS fighters in Libya has doubled in the past year to between 4,000 and 6,000.
Obama made his comments on Wednesday, just days after he told Fox News that failing to prepare for the aftermath of the ousting of Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi was the worst mistake of his presidency.
“As we, and our foreign allies and partners, have made it harder for foreign terrorists to reach Syria and Iraq, we have seen an uptick in the number of ISIS fighters heading to Libya,” Obama told reporters at CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia, after a meeting with intelligence chiefs intended to review U.S. strategy against the group.
“We are going to continue to use the full range of our tools to roll ISIL [ISIS] back from Libya while insisting the new, nascent Libyan government works to secure their country.”
In his remarks, Obama insisted the U.S. and its allies would still defeat ISIS and focused mainly on signs of progress in Syria and Iraq, where he said the group had lost 28,000 square miles of territory after 11,500 allied airstrikes that helped local partners push it back.