Republicans starting to see their differences with Cruz were only tactical, not substantive

Washington Examiner:
Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., on Sunday suggested Republicans back Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, who Graham has harshly attacked, to stop Donald Trump from winning the Republican nomination.

"Here's my message to the Republican party and the conservative movement," Graham said Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press." "I'd rather risk losing without Donald Trump than try to win with him, because it will do more damage over time."

Graham, a national security hawk who failed to get traction in his own presidential bid, said that despite his clashes with Cruz, who he faults for pushing Republicans into shutting down the government in 2013, he can settle for Cruz as the party's nominee.

"Ted is a conservative," said Graham, who now backs Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., after previously endorsing former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush. "He's more ideological than I am, but he is a Republican conservative and Donald Trump is not," Graham said. "If I had to support Ted Cruz over Donald Trump, I would because I think he is a Republican conservative, and he might could beat Hillary Clinton."
...
Tom Eliott quotes Graham:
...
“I know what I’m getting with Ted Cruz,” Graham told Meet the Press. “He would repeal ObamaCare and replace it with something better. He’s not going to order our troops to commit war crimes. He would defund Planned Parenthood.”

“We have a lot in common; tactically I disagree with Ted about shutting down the government to repeal ObamaCare – I thought it was a bad idea – but yeah, if I can work with Ted Cruz, I think that shows there is hope,” Graham said.
...
This is something I have been saying for awhile and it is good to see them finally coming around on it.   Most of them ran on these issues and they just were not as prepared as Ted Cruz to force them on the Obama administration.  Their failure to do so created a lot of the anger that is fueling the anti-establishment vote which Trump is exploiting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Republicans go ahead and add Supreme Court Justices to head off Democrats

29 % of companies say they are unlikely to keep insurance after Obamacare

Bin Laden's concern about Zarqawi's remains