Explaining a brokered convention

Susan Wright:
The Myth of the Stolen Election

...
If it goes to a brokered convention, delegates will go through the process of deciding who to bring forward as nominee. This is where we’re hearing the biggest cries regarding the so-called will of the people, candidate of the people, yada… yada… yada… While this doesn’t seem to be a big issue with the Kasich people (I have to assume there are actually Kasich people, though I think they all reside in Ohio), the Trump and Cruz clans seem to be most up in arms over the notion. Here’s what they so conveniently disregard: If Trump is drawing, on average, around 30% of the vote, nationwide, that still leaves 70% of the people who don’t want him. That’s more than double the amount of those who support him and given that logic, he’s apparently not in line with the will of the majority of voters. Cruz has less, though I expect his numbers to see an uptick, now that the field has been winnowed down.

Therefore, if we reach the end of the primary season with no consensus as to who is to represent us in November, then a brokered convention is necessary to move us forward. It’s not what we want to see happen in an election. It’s rare, but it’s a way to settle the matter.
...
There is much more.

I think the angst comes from the feeling that the establishment in Washington will be doing the selection and that the delegates will just go along.  But it is unlikely that the Cruz delegates or most of the Trump delegates will go along.  That leaves the delegates pledged to other candidates and the unassigned delegates in a position to make a choice.  Trump will try to make a deal, and Cruz will have to counter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another one of those Trump stories Ted Cruz warned about

Iraq says civilian casualties in Mosul caused by ISIS booby trap, not US air strike